Friday, June 18, 2010

Elderly Challenge-Observation 2

I believe that most elderly have problems moving and shifting their bulk, especially when the place is not very convenient. What do I mean? It means that transportation is not very convenient for them, perhaps the nearest bus stop or pickup points are too far; or maybe, there are not accessible lifts or walkways specially built for them. Many elderly hope to have an environment that allows them to integrate with the wider community, their friends and even their own family members.

How can we make further improvements? This is what my grandmother have told me: "Our house is too close to the highway, so we cannot expect much. I wish we have more bus stops in the vicinity and lesser staircase...not to forget, lifts to every storey of the block." Of course, I have an experience of my own, too. I remembered that blocks of houses which are deemed "elderly friendly" are merely the same as conventional blocks of flats. Imagine that I almost fell while descending down the flight of stairs of my grandmother's block(the lifts are not accessible by all the storeys of the block, only chosen ones). If children and adults find the staircase treacherous, what do we expect from the elderly? Therefore, accessibility should come first, for the safety of the elderly is of utmost importance. The authorities and the government can make several changes to suit the elderly's needs, if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment